The Nigerian Football Federation, NFF, on Tuesday announced that Gernot Rohr has signed a two-year contract to be the Technical Adviser of Nigeria’s Super Eagles.
Here are 10 important things to know about him
1. Rohr was a defender during his playing days. He played for Bayern Munich, Bordeaux and other clubs.
2. Before appointment, he was working on development programmes for the German football association (DFB).
3. He managed Girondins Bordeaux to the UEFA Cup final, where they lost to Bayern Munich over two legs, 0–2 away and 1–3 at home.
4. From October 1998 until April 1999 he was Sports Director of Eintracht Frankfurt.
5. In 2009, Rohr was fired by Étoile Sportive du Sahel following a third-place finish in the league, outside of the 2010 CAF Champions League places.
6. On 9 June 2009, he took up the role as new head coach of the Ligue 2 team FC Nantes, his contract running till 30 June 2011.
7. On 3 December 2009, he was fired by FC Nantes and replaced by Jean-Marc Furlan.
8. He was contracted by Gabon in February 2010 to replace French coach Alain Giresse as coach of the Gabon national football team.
9. He became manager of Niger national football team in September 2012. A position he resigned in October 2014.
10. On 22 December 2015, he was sacked by Burkina Faso national football team as manager.